Search This Blog

Anlene - Walk for Bones, The Experience

Walk for Bones was OK I guess. I just probably had a huge expectation.

We came on site around 0930. As expected, there were lots of people already lined up at the registration booth. Another long line for the free bone scan. A couple of more people lined up for something (later found out those were Organizations and Schools participating) One word came to mind, unorganized. They didn't have markers or something. Any new comer would definitely get lost.

We came in good spirits. After parking the car, we looked for the registration booth. We passed by the band (they were kids from Philippine School of Drums and Lyre). They were so cute with their uniforms on. I'm sure they prepared for this event.

When we got to the "starting point", we couldn't find the booth! Luckily a young volunteer gave us forms to fill in. Unluckily, we don't have pens with us. LOL!! A nice lady let us borrow her pen and as soon as we finished the forms, we looked for the booth again so we can get our shirts and caps.

We went near the stage to look for anyone who can help us. Finally a volunteer told us that we have to go back and check with other volunteers because they don't have shirts anymore. FRAK! So we went back to the starting point. We found a lady with boxes of shirts, so we hurriedly gave her our stubs....

"I'm sorry, but these are for our school/organizations only"  - she said. OMFG! So where are we supposed to go, really?

We went back to the booth near the stage where it was confirmed that the caps and shirts are no longer available. Bummer. That's a major disappointment but I'd rather not argue since it was a "free" event anyway. Plus all the going to and back is making me dizzy.

We settled in a corner near the stage where the host/fitness first instructor(?) was already doing the warm up exercises. In fairness to the host, he did a great job! He was able to make me laugh and even do the belly dance...well its more like a belly jiggle coz there was no room to move anyway.  He also pointed out that most of the participants were Filipinos. Woo hoo! REPRESENT!

After a few minutes, I saw people being handed out shirts. I figured they have a fresh batch so I went to the booth again. I held out the stubs and waited for the "nice" lady to attend to me. I understand that she's only a volunteer and that people can be pushy at times. They can be rude, even.

"Why are you people so RUDE?!!" - frowning-volunteer-lady said.

I was like... WHOA! She had a lot of moxie for saying that in front of a mob of people waiting for their shirts. I'm thinking, if they were more organized this wouldn't have happened. Another lady was telling her that she took two stubs and she gave only one shirt. The other claims that volunteer lady took her stubs and gave the shirts to the other lady. It was chaos, I tell you.

Finally, she took my stubs....STUBS. One for me and one for my companion, who, by the way, is just beside me. She grudgingly gave me a shirt. I told her she took two stubs and I needed two shirts. With a half frown-half evil smile, she told me, "We only give one shirt per person" .

I pointed to my cousin beside me and told frowning-volunteer-lady, "yeah, she's the other person."  She gave me another shirt, but looked at me first as if I was the devil.

Why did she take two stubs from me and only give me one shirt? Why is she showing me this kind of attitude? If she's bummed/tired and/or angry at other people, don't throw it out on me girl! I just arrived at the booth, I didn't do anything to you. I waited patiently for my turn and you give me attitude? You shouldn't be volunteering if you can't handle the pressure.

So this is us with our shirts, finally. Aside from that encounter with the "moody lady", I did enjoy the day. I met new friends (Who, by the way, had the same bad experience with the lady behind the counter. I wonder how many people complained about her...hmmm)

Spot the lady behind the counter!

This is Nikki and Steph with Gracey. This was after the 1 KM walk. Here's another thing: narrow path push plus hordes of excited people, not good. We had to leave the queue just so I can breathe. And also, the band was supposed to lead the way so we have rhythm. Not even half way through, the band was pulled out. People were asked to go straight ahead. We were so confused!

Later on I found out that people having breakfast at the nearby restaurants/cafe`s complained about the noise. What the?! Poor kids. They practiced for this event for sure. They dressed up and got there before everybody else and then they were stopped? Hay.

We lined up for the bone scanning next. My results were OK (-1.0) That's supposed to mean that my bone density is in between low and moderate risk. I was advised to drink more Anlene. (big surprise! But hey, it tastes great!!)

So after all of that, we went home and had a long nice nap. Yes, a long nice nap. We walked almost 5K after all!

1K - car park to starting point.
1K - starting point to 1k mark
1K - going back to starting point for bone scan
1K - going back to car park.
1K - walking around trying to find the booth for the shirts and the toilet. =P

Easy 5K! [edit: Come to think of it, I don't think the marker was at 1 KM.... did anybody measure?]

Now when is the next event?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love to hear from you. Your comments and feedbacks would definitely help me in this quest. It would be much appreciated if you can spread the word about this project.


Related Posts with Thumbnails